Summertime is a time for family barbecues! And neighborhood barbecues. So when you are eating healthy what do you do for your buns? Lettuce? That is what we do all too often.
I LOVE bread! I feel like when I miss out on the bun my meal is not as “hearty”. So. . . now you can make your own!
These buns are easy to make but they take a while because you need to let them rise a couple of times but they are worth it!
I like to let my dough rise in a warm oven so it will rise quicker. If you have the time you can let it rise on the counter.
For the whole wheat you can buy whole wheat flour from the store or online or you can grind your own wheat with a wheat grinder.
I talk more about the options for your wheat in my bread post HERE.
For information on buying your raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized honey go HERE.
You can also make hot dog buns with the dough. For the hot dogs we eat sausage. Of course remember to look at the ingredients and find one that doesn’t have sugar and junk. You want it to be whole food.
Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup warm water
4 1/2 tsp yeast
2 Tblsp raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized honey
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup milk
2 Tblsp butter
2 tsp salt
- Mix 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cup warm water. let rest 30 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before it is done resting mix together 1/4 cup warm water, yeast & Honey. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In saucepan melt butter, milk, and salt. Pour all mixtures together.
- Add remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes.
- Cover, let rise 1 hour. If you are in a hurry let rise in warm oven about 30-40 minutes.
- Knead dough a couple of minutes.
- Roll out and cut in circles. Let rise 30 minutes. Or in warm oven 15 minutes.
- Bake 350 degrees 20-25 minutes.
- If you are making hot dog buns you will need to cook a little longer.