We lived in Texas for 6 years and let me tell you Tex-Mex is SO GOOD! We are living in Utah now and it is hard to find good Mexican food so I guess I will keep making it myself.
I love cooking meat in the crock-pot. The meat comes out so tender and juicy. This meat is so flavorful with the spices and salsa. The spices give it that Tex-Mex taste.
For the roast, use whatever kind of beef roast you normally buy for your family. And the size that will feed your family.
Also, you will want to rub the spices on the meat so that while it is cooking the meat will absorb the flavor from the spices.
When the meat is done cooking you will shred it with 2 forks. When I am done shredding I put the meat back in the crock-pot to let the meat soak up the juices. This keeps the meat from being dry.
To keep this healthy be sure to check the ingredients and make sure your salsa does not contain sugar. You may be surprised! 🙂
I make my own tortillas. They are super easy to make and taste so good. You can find the recipe here for my whole wheat tortillas. If you decide to buy your tortillas you will want whole wheat. You also want to stay away from preservatives.
1 beef roast
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1 cup salsa
- In small bowl mix spices together. Rub on meat.
- Place meat, onion, and garlic in slow cooker. Poor salsa over meat.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
- Shred meat. Put meat back in crock-pot and mix well to let meat absorb the juices.
- Serve with homemade whole wheat tortillas, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.