As requested, a healthy chicken nugget recipe the kids will like! It is so hard to find good healthy recipes that the kids will eat. The kids are the ones that are the real testers! I don’t think these chicken nuggets will disappoint!
I gave a few chicken nuggets to my son for my grandchildren to try. I wanted to make sure kids would like them too. The report I received is they really liked them and did not save any for their mom to try. 🙂
First thing you need is bread crumbs. I made my own bread crumbs. If you buy bread crumbs at the store it has all sorts of stuff that is not healthy in it.
I used almost a loaf of bread. I did not use the crust. You will want to spread your bread out on a cookie sheet. Crumble it into small pieces the night before. Every time I walked into my kitchen I crumbled it more as it was drying out. You want the bread crumbs to be nice and dry. You also want small crumbs. If you need the crumbs to dry a little faster you can put them in a warm oven for a little while.
I used about a pound of chicken. I bought boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets. I cut them into bite size pieces.
I put the chicken in the eggs and mixed it up so they were well soaked with the egg. The egg helps the crumbs stick to the chicken.
I am sure you can fry these if you would like. I baked them in the oven.
I would love to hear how they turn out for you!
Healthy Chicken Nuggets
2 cups homemade whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 40 bite size pieces
- Crumble a small loaf of bread without the crust the night before. Let it set out to dry on a cookie sheet. If you need the bread to dry out faster you can put it in a warm oven.
- When ready to make chicken nuggets combine bread crumbs and spices in a small bowl.
- Beat together eggs in a separate bowl. Place chicken pieces in eggs until well covered.
- Let excess egg drip off chicken.
- Place chicken in bread crumbs. Roll in bread crumbs until well coated.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 16 minutes