My hubby loves chocolate cake! His favorite is chocolate cake with white frosting. When we stopped eating processed food, white flour, and refined, processed sugar chocolate cake went out as well.
We are happy that chocolate cake is back in our diet! This cake is yummy! It is now our go to cake for birthdays.
Several months ago we were invited to some friends house for dinner and was asked to bring dessert. We brought this cake. When the kids heard it was healthy they didn’t want anything to do with it. Their parents told them to try a small piece. The kids LOVED it! They came back for seconds and even thirds!
We make the cake in a spring-form pan but you could make it in a regular cake pan.
Make sure your applesauce is unsweetened to keep this recipe whole and sugar free. You want to make it a habit to check the ingredients of all your food.
For this recipe I use whole wheat flour. I have a [easyazon_link identifier=”B000CPJKWC” locale=”US” tag=”beewhole-20″]WonderMill Electric Wheat Grinder [/easyazon_link]. You can also buy whole wheat flour at the grocery store.
If you want to know some of the health benefits of using honey for your sweetener read about that here.
A note on the milk. There has been a lot of research on dairy. For a whole foods diet you want all your dairy to be whole. Full fat dairy is better for you!
Did you know there are a lot of health benefits in the cacao (chocolate) bean? You can find those benefits in this blog post. You won’t feel guilty for eating chocolate (without the sugar 🙂 )
Healthy Chocolate Cake
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup raw unfiltered honey
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 1/2 Tblsp. raw honey
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
3 Tblsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease sides and bottom of pan.
- In bowl lightly beat eggs with a whisk. Add unsweetened applesauce, whole milk, raw unfiltered honey, and pure vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine whole wheat flour, raw cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Gently fold into wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Batter will not be completely smooth. Pour into pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- To make ganache in small saucepan melt coconut oil. Stir in raw honey, and pure vanilla. Add raw cacao powder and whisk until smooth. Place in fridge to thicken slightly.
- Once cake has cooled poor ganache over cake.
- Store cake covered in fridge for up to 5 days. (If it lasts that long 🙂 )