I remember when I had been married just a couple of years, I was asked to take funeral potatoes for a luncheon after a funeral. I had not heard of them up to that point. I got a recipe and they were so good!
The cheesy goodness along with the ham and potatoes. YUM!!
One of my daughters loves funeral potatoes so when we changed our diet to a whole foods diet she was not willing to give it up so we searched for a way to make it work for us.
This recipe is great to make after Easter or Christmas when you have leftover ham.
I don’t know why ham, potatoes, and cheese together taste so yummy!
If you are like me and LOVE cheese you may want to add more cheese. I have found that if I add more cheese then it is very stringy and not as creamy. So stick with the 1 cup of cheese for a creamier sauce.
Healthy Ham & Potato Casserole
6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 Tblsp. butter
2 cups cubed ham
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, then put potatoes in casserole dish.
- In skillet melt 3 Tblsp butter. Stir in ham and onion. Cook until onion is soft. Transfer to casserole dish with potatoes.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour. Gradually whisk milk into mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until thickened. Stir in cheese and cook until melted.
- Pour over ham and potatoes.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.