One of the things I love is caramel! I do have a sweet tooth and I love that I don’t have to give the sweets up! As long as you use raw honey to sweeten instead of refined sugar or sugar substitutes you can still eat healthy.
There are SO many health benefits to raw honey! I have put together some of those benefits here.
A couple of weeks ago we drove to Texas for a wedding. It is a VERY long drive! Lots of time for talking, thinking, sleeping, etc.
During that time of driving and thinking I started thinking about chocolate and caramel together. I got an idea and was excited to get home and start baking!
We got home and I went to work. All our kids were coming over to celebrate my hubby’s birthday and I wanted them to try it. It was a success! Our son said it was his favorite treat I have made. The grand kids ate it too!
This dessert takes a little bit of time because of the layers but I think it is worth it. After you make each layer you will put it in your fridge while making the other layer.
You will want each layer to be cold so they don’t mix together.
I feel like this tastes better the next day even.
Chocolate Caramel Bars
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raw, unfiltered honey
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tblsp extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup + 2 Tblsp heavy cream
2 1/2 Tblsp. raw honey
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
3 Tblsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon or your hands. I used my hands as it is pretty stiff.
- Spread in a 9×9 baking pan.
- Refrigerate while making caramel.
- In a small saucepan heat maple syrup on medium-high heat until it reaches 235 degrees F.
- Add coconut oil and stir well. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add heavy cream and stir well. Leave on heat for 30 seconds then remove and allow to cool. (I put the pan in the fridge to cool it a little faster.)
- When the caramel is cooled spread on top of the chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate while making the ganache.
- In small pan melt coconut oil.
- Stir in raw honey, and vanilla.
- Add raw cacao powder and whisk until smooth.
- Let cool then poor over caramel. Refrigerate.
- After about an hour or more cut into squares.