Pumpkin pie is one of my favorite pies for Thanksgiving! It is delicious!
A couple of years ago we had an extended family Thanksgiving dinner. Of course, there were lots of pies! We didn’t want to miss out on pie so we brought our own pumpkin pie.
We cut ourselves a slice then told everyone they could try some if they would like.
Well, that pie was gone so fast! Before any of the other pumpkins pies! You won’t believe this pie does not contain sugar.
And the crust is whole wheat. It is yummy! Whole wheat is so much better for you than white flour. And it is super easy to work with.
Being on a whole foods, no preservatives, or refined sugar diet sometimes you “miss out” on some of the food in social settings. This year you don’t have too!
Healthy Pumpkin Pie
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup cold butter
5-6 Tblsp. cold water
15 oz. can pumpkin
1/2 cup raw honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
- In large bowl combine whole wheat flour and sea salt.
- Cut in butter with 2 knives or your hands.
- Slowly add water and mix with hands until dough forms ball.
- Roll out on floured surface bigger than your pie tin. Fold into fourths so it doesn’t break when transferring to pan.
- In large bowl whisk together pumpkin, honey, vanilla, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Whisk in heavy whipping cream and eggs.
- Pour in pie shell. Cover edges of crust with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 25-30 more minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Refrigerate left overs