My mother-in-law, LuLu, gave me this delicious recipe for breakfast burritos. It is perfect for a crowd or to freeze and have on hand when you need a quick meal.
My mother-in-law has affectionately been called LuLu by her children, grandchildren, in laws, etc. for years. Anyways, she has made this for her family when they go visit her and all have really enjoyed it.
These breakfast burritos are great to eat right away or make ahead and freeze them.
If you freeze them, wrap them in foil and put in your freezer. When ready to eat, remove from foil and place on microwave safe plate. Microwave for about 2 – 2 1/2 minutes. Or place in oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
If you are on a whole foods diet or trying to eat healthy make sure the dairy in this recipe is whole and not reduced fat or fat free. You want to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. In fact, there is not a link between heart disease, type 2 diabetes or weight gain and full fat dairy. And the full fat will help you feel full longer. In fact, a lot of times sugar and artificial flavoring is added to reduced fat to make up for the lost flavor.
The sausage is another tricky ingredient. So often sausage has so much junk in it. I have found a really good sausage at Costco. It is grass-fed and uncured. Look at the ingredients. Good sausage can be found.
The tortilla I made with whole wheat flour. You can find the recipe here. Tortillas are easy to make and better for you because they don’t have the preservatives. You could also use corn tortillas.
LuLu’s Breakfast Burritos
2 large potatoes, diced
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 dozen eggs
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
4 oz. can diced green chiles (optional)
whole wheat or corn tortillas
- Boil potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender.
- Brown ground beef and onion. Add sausage toward the end to heat.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, and grated cheese together. Add potatoes, meat, and onions when cooked.
- Scramble eggs with salt and pepper. Add to mixture. Add green chiles.
- Mix well.
- Put about 1/2 cup of filling in the middle of tortilla. Fold up the bottom and then fold the 2 sides. Or you can eat taco style if tortillas are smaller.
- To freeze, wrap in foil and place in freezer. When ready to eat remove foil. Place on microwave safe plate. Microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Or in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.