A lot of my recipes call for Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Coconut oil is so good for you! I feel like it is one of the things that has helped me with my inflammation and pain.
Ideally you should eat about 2 tablespoons a day. That may sound like a lot but as you start to cook with it you might be surprised at how often you can put it in your diet.
Here is a list of some of the benefits that I feel are important.
- Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses and kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases. We have not been sick in years. We have had days that we feel a little under the weather but not all out sick.
- Provides a nutritional source of quick energy. As well as boosting energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance. I definitely have more energy
- Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It is a good idea to eat coconut oil with your vitamins.
- Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
- Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
- Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth. I have osteoporosis so this is vital for me to know that my daily coconut oil is helping my bones as well as all the other things I need help with.
- Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
- Improves digestion and bowel function. When you first start taking coconut oil your stools may be soft. This is normal.
- Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
- Reduces inflammation. A must for us arthritis sufferers.
- Supports tissue healing and repair.
- Supports and aids immune system function.
- Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers. Also, if you put it on your skin it will help reduce the risk for skin cancer.
- Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
- Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
- Functions as a protective antioxidant.
- Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Is lower in calories than all other fats.
- Supports thyroid function. I have hyopthyroidism. Since taking coconut oil on a regular basis my thyroid function has improved. That is not common. I have been able to reduce my dosage in half so far.
- Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
- Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward off infection. When I have cut myself or burned myself I have put some coconut oil on the area and it heals faster.
- Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking. Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
- Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
- Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
- Is completely non-toxic to humans.
A lot of my information about coconut oil comes from the book The New Arthritis Cure: Eliminate Arthritis and Fibromyalgia Pain Permanently.
This is the coconut oil I buy. Island Fresh Superior Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce If you buy it somewhere else always make sure that it is Extra Virgin and cold pressed. You also want it to smell like coconut oil!